Welcome back! I hope that you enjoyed your vacation and are ready for a fulfilling and busy October!
Staff Professional Learning:
We meet as a staff this week from 1:40-3:10. We will review and finalize our School Focus document which we developed at our Site Leadership Meeting. Additionally, we will view the South Bay Spotlight video, Dr. McNamara’s Budget Update video and a video about the District Behavior Support team.
Report Cards- Sent Home October 25:
- Here is the Assessment and Report Card document which is designed to answer all of your questions.
- Remember all report cards this year will use 8.5 x 11 paper and are 2 sided with grades on BOTH sides.
- Here is a video about ELD Grades. The previously mentioned Assessment and Report Card document has a lot of the same information. UPDATE: As we have not received any guidance yet from CDE, we will be keeping the process the same until further notice.
- TIP: Use a text editor (like Word or Google docs) to type your comments, then copy and paste into Illuminate.
- Remember to SAVE often!
- If you’re new to Illuminate and report cards check out more informative videos about entering grades – Learning and Innovation website, click on the Assessment tab, then Illuminate Resources.
- Chrome, Chrome, Chrome
- You will have 750 characters (including spaces) to write your comments. It may look like you have more space but you’ll only have 750 characters.
- If you are using the Standards-based Gradebook, this document will help you connect the grades to the report card.
- Attendance and other heading data will be populated by 5pm on Friday, October 11th.
- Reading Assessment Data– Please CLEAR your filters then search “Fountas” or “DRA”. Use the 1st
Thank you to all for navigating the new Imagine Learning Galileo System. I am in the process of coordinating a time for ILE staff to share information about the new assessment and additional tools for you to use to support our students. If you are receiving error messages or have any other questions, please let me know. Beginning October 28th, Leslie will facilitate Imagine Learning after school on Mon, Tues, Thurs, and Fri.
District Digital Content:
- District Digital Content– This document has all the login information for any district provided digital content.(Imagine Learning, ST Math, Dreambox etc)
Fall Carnival Flash Mob:
Thank you to Connie and Leslie for coordinating our first ever Fall Carnival Flash Mob!! The performance will take place on October 25th at 4:00 P.M.
Please make an announcement to your class and hand out registration forms to students as requested. 5 copies of the form will be placed in your box.
It is critical that the word gets out and the registration forms get sent home to interested students all of next week. The first rehearsal will be held the first day that we are back from break. The link to the form is here.
Before School Student Procedures:
7:15-7:50 breakfast is served in the cafeteria
Prior to 7:40 all students should be in the cafeteria (students should not deliver backpacks to their classrooms)
At 7:40 students may do one of the following:
Eat Breakfast in the cafeteria
Walk (not run) the dirt track
**To ensure student safety, please remind your students not to chase others, walk backwards, or engage in any other unsafe behavior while walking
Sit at the lunch tables outside the cafeteria
Dance (when available)
Student should not stand at their lines until the bell rings (though they may drop their backpack off at the lines (after 7:40) Please let me know if you have any questions or would like us to review any of our procedures.
SMALL GROUPS – Making a Plan
Consider this goal:
“All students will receive instruction in reading at least once a week in a small group setting, with a teaching point targeted to their needs (data-based.)”
How is this going in your classroom so far? Yes, another TOSA Tip about small groups… it’s THAT important!
Wherever you are in the process of planning and implementing small groups, identify your next step. Maybe it is to routinely conduct informal running records to keep your data fresh and check for growth. Perhaps you are working on getting a system in place to ensure small groups are happening routinely. Or maybe you are learning about different kinds of small groups and having your TOSA join you for planning and instruction.
Once you have identified your next steps, it can be helpful to share them with a colleague! This way we can encourage and inspire one another, give ideas, and support our growth as we strengthen our practice for the benefit of our students.
Flag Salute-Emory Pride Sticks:
Purpose: The purpose is to create school-wide community during the Monday Flag Salute and to promote school spirit and pride.
How does my class earn an Emory Pride Stick?
- My entire class was on task during the Monday Flag Salute
- My class knew and said the school pledge along with the school choir when the school choir recited into the microphone
- My class sang the patriotic song along with the school choir
- My class was prompt to the flag salute
- All students perform and know the school stomp when a member of the school choir recites it in the microphone
- Students are engaged at the Flag Salute and not chatting
One lower grade and one upper grade class will be chosen to receive an Emory Pride stick and the sticks will be given out after the stomp. Judging will be done by the Parent Center. Class winners will be announced by Mrs. Grondek. Send a student to the office to pick up the stick. The following Monday, bring the sticks to the Flag Salute and give them back to Mrs. Grondek.
Patriotic Song Rotation:
You’re a Grand Old Flag- September, January, May
Song Link– You’re a Grand Old Flag
Star Spangled Banner- October, February, June
My Country ‘Tis of Thee- November, March
America the Beautiful- December, April
Staff UN Meets 10/8 2:40-3:40:
If you are available, I would love to have to join us at Staff UN on Tuesday, October 8th after school to meet to refine/finalize our School Focus DRAFT linked here. We must submit our final draft to the District by Friday, October 11th.
Staff Meeting Locations:
It was suggested that we host staff meetings in different classrooms over the course of the school year. This will provide an opportunity to see how our colleagues are using our new classroom furniture, wall space and other cool stuff 🙂 Please let me know if you would like to host an upcoming meeting.
Please see your email from me to find the updated list of students who are chronically absent. Let me know if you need help understanding the report or supporting our students and families.
As you prepare for your conferences with families, please use the information in my email and linked below to support families in regular attendance. For health concerns, you may wish to refer the family to Tracey Purvis our nurse or for any resource needs, you may wish to refer the family to Cindy Pillado.
Site Leadership Team:
We enjoyed a great day learning and collaborating on the Tuesday before vacation at our Site Leadership Team meeting at the Ed Center. If you are interested in the slides shared, please view them here.