Principal Directed PLC 1:40-2:40:
TK-2 Room 23 Fountas and Pinnell Guided Reading with Elma
3-6 Room 19 Update ELD/E.O. Groups
Global Kindness Challenge February 4-8:
Wed. 2/6 Classroom Kindness Ambassador name and write-up (written by students or teacher 3-4 sentences describing why this student was selected) Emailed to Jenn and Cindy
To promote kindness at Emory, Student Council would like to have one Kindness Ambassador selected from each classroom. Kindness Ambassadors will represent Emory, and the wonderful things that happen within our school and community. They will have their picture taken and placed on a wall of honor in the cafeteria, along with a short write-up describing why they stand out for kindness.
Ways students can be chosen:
- Teacher selection
- Student nominated by peers or teacher
- Students vote based on things they’ve seen in classroom/playground
- Thrively project which promotes kindness
- Class-wide essay which promotes kindness
- Students create a Ted X Talk on the importance of kindness in the world. The winning speech/presentation is the Kindness Ambassador (Kids can find kid Ted X talks on YouTube)
- Finished project which promotes kindness (poem, pledge, creed, song, graphic novel, idea, painting, invent a kindness game, etc.)
- Any other fabulous ideas you have
Make Kindness a Habit Video This is an example of a Ted Talk that kids could do.
Kindness Spirit Days:
2/4 You Can’t Take Words Back- Backwards Day
2/5 Kindness Rocks- Dress like a rock star!
2/6 Make Kindness a Pattern- Patterened clothing (polka dots, stripes, plaid, etc.)
2/7 Score Points by Helping Others- favorite team/sports jersey
2/8 Dress Alike Day- come dressed the same as a friend or wear your Emory shirt
Kindness Challenge– Every 10 challenges earns a coin to be spent at Jenn’s wagon (dates/times TBD)
Mon. 2/11 Classroom Kindness Ambassador recognized at Flag Salute (Please notify family prior to flag salute)
Thanks to Dave, Erika and Holli for coordinating our Student Council and leading this event for our students.
Math Lab Site dates- March 4th and 5th. Please let me know ASAP if you have any conflict (release day, field trip etc).
Emory Health Office Services:
Paris Johnson was hired at our most recent SBUSD Board Meeting to serve as our Health Clerk. She is here every Monday and Tuesday and alternating Wednesdays from 10:30-2:00. On the alternating Wednesdays and Thursday and Friday, a nurse from a staffing agency supports our school from 8:00-2:25. We have seen a number of different nurses serve our students this school year. If you need a vision/hearing screen, please complete the form and submit it to Dani. She will contact SBUSD School Nurse Cristina Vaz who will perform the assessments. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Fountas and Pinnell-deadline updated-February 19:
The deadline to have the data entered was moved to February 19th.
The assessments are available now. Remember to clear your filters, search for “Fountas” or “DRA” and look for the 2018-19 2nd administration. Here’s the GIANT assessment document to answer your additional questions about other assessment dates, A/B book clarification, and other exciting information.
Here a few of the reminders when assessing students in Fountas & Pinnell:
- Kinder teachers do not give the Wordlist because it might not allow you to start assessing students in A books
- Kinder-new English A and B forms
- Kinder-new English A and B forms
- A and B are for meant for Concepts of Print
- When asking the comprehension questions for levels A and B start with “What is the story about?” or “What did you learn?”
- In A and B, students only need to score a 2 or 3 for the literal question to move on to the next level
- Beyond the Text questions will not be used when determining placement in A and B levels
- Test in both Fiction and Non-fiction books during the assessment window (Ex: if you test Afiction, then test B non-fiction, etc.)
Entering F and P data in Illuminate in February:
- 2018-2019 Fountas and Pinnell 2nd administration
- Enter students’ both INDEPENDENT and INSTRUCTIONAL levels in Illuminate
- For levels C and above enter all scores: instructional level, instructional accuracy, instructional fluency and instructional comprehension scores, instructional genre, and independent level.
Upcoming Events/Due dates:
January 30 Principal Directed PLC- Elma here for guided reading K-2 3-6 TBD
January 4-Feb 8 Global Kindness Challenge
February 19 Fountas and Pinnell Data Entered
February 22 Report Cards go home
Quote of the Week: