Enjoy a long three day weekend!!
Grades 2-6 should plan to meet in Erin’s room (19) from 1:40-2:40 for round one of ELPAC (English Language Proficiency Assessment of California) training. K and 1 teachers are welcome to join us, however, your time may be better spent planning collaboratively.
Math Lab Site dates- March 4th and 5th. Please let me know ASAP if you have any conflict (release day, field trip etc).
Classroom Library Funds:
$1,000 per grade level
Order due to Eunice by Jan 25, 2019
Book Source, Scholastic, Teachers College, Follett and Delaney- NOT AMAZON
Lesson Design for Language Learners:
For 3rd-6th grade teachers
WHEN: Tuesday, January 22nd 3:30-5:00pm
WHERE: District Office, Conference rooms 1-3
WHAT: Join your Coordinator Lisa Celaya and TOSA’s to discuss designing instruction that meets the needs of your language learners.
Out of contract pay provided.
Fountas and Pinnell-deadline updated-February 19:
The deadline to have the data entered was moved to February 19th.
The assessments are available now. Remember to clear your filters, search for “Fountas” or “DRA” and look for the 2018-19 2nd administration. Here’s the GIANT assessment document to answer your additional questions about other assessment dates, A/B book clarification, and other exciting information.
Here a few of the reminders when assessing students in Fountas & Pinnell:
- Kinder teachers do not give the Wordlist because it might not allow you to start assessing students in A books
- Kinder-new English A and B forms
- Kinder-new English A and B forms
- A and B are for meant for Concepts of Print
- When asking the comprehension questions for levels A and B start with “What is the story about?” or “What did you learn?”
- In A and B, students only need to score a 2 or 3 for the literal question to move on to the next level
- Beyond the Text questions will not be used when determining placement in A and B levels
- Test in both Fiction and Non-fiction books during the assessment window (Ex: if you test Afiction, then test B non-fiction, etc.)
Entering F and P data in Illuminate in February:
- 2018-2019 Fountas and Pinnell 2nd administration
- Enter students’ both INDEPENDENT and INSTRUCTIONAL levels in Illuminate
- For levels C and above enter all scores: instructional level, instructional accuracy, instructional fluency and instructional comprehension scores, instructional genre, and independent level.
Fountas and Pinnell Guided Reading:
Elma will join us on January 30th from 1:40-2:40 in room 23 to provide an overview of the Fountas and Pinnell Guided Reading kits in room 1 (see agenda below). At this time, the District has purchased 1 kit per grade level K-2. I learned this week that Cindy Wagner will provide an additional kit for grades 3-5, though I am not aware of the timeline for the upper grade purchase.
-Purpose and structure of a guided reading lesson
-Demo the Guided Reading lesson
-Guided Reading debrief
-teacher register and look at the on-line materials
New-training required to host a Student Teacher:
The January 2018 CTC guidelines require all Master teachers to have “recent” training in various areas of coaching and classroom pedagogy.
The San Diego County Office of Education built an online training to help universities satisfy these Common Standards and Preliminary Credential Program Standards(Common Standards, Standard 3, bullets 3 and 4, pg. 3-4; Program Standards – Standard 3, letter D, pg. iv).
The training is 8 hours completely online that the Master Teacher can begin before receiving their Student Teacher or during the weeks the Student Teacher is in their classroom.
Please see the link provided for information: https://www.sdcoe.net/human-resources/teacher-prep/Pages/master-teacher-training.aspx
The course is open to them for one month from the time they enter it. The cost of the program is $50 which would need to be paid by the teacher if they are interested in receiving and being paid for overseeing student teachers.
Each Master Teacher receives a certificate of completion that is portable as evidence of having been trained (for future service as a Master Teacher), and any university participating will have access to a growing database of Master Teachers who have been trained (for accreditation purposes).
ST Math Webinar:
Thanks to RoseAnn for sharing details about a ST Math Webinar with information about how to use ST Math to prepare students for CAASPP tests. See dates/links below.
- January 15 4:00 pm Eastern/1:00 pm Pacific Register
- January 24 7:00 pm Eastern/4:00 pm Pacific Register
Upcoming Events/Due dates:
January 25 Classroom Library Order due to Eunice
January 23 District PLN- ELPAC training webinar- meet in 23
January 24 Dr. McNamara visits all Emory classes 11:30-12:15
January 25 RFEP Celebration
January 30 Principal Directed PLC- Elma here for guided reading K-2 3-6 TBD
January 28-Feb 1 Global Kindness Challenge
Quote of the Week: