Thank you for your hard work preparing for your conferences with your students’ families! Enjoy the time getting to know a bit more about the children in your care.
We DO NOT meet as a staff this week. Our next Staff PD is November 7th.
Great American Shakeout Drill:
Thursday, Oct 18th at 10:18 a.m. we will participate in the Great American Earthquake Drill. This is during 5/6 grade recess.
- As appropriate, (especially 5/6) please prepare your students for the expected actions during the drill.
- Listen for the announcement informing you to begin your duck, cover and hold on drill.
- Direct students to drop to the floor, get under their desks (as possible) and/or cover/protect their heads and hold onto a desk or table leg (staff should also practice).
- Stay in drop, cover hold on position, until announcement ending the drill (approximately 3/4 minutes).
Additional earthquake safety tips.
- Stay where you are until the shaking stops. Do not run outside. Do not get in a doorway as this does not provide protection from falling or flying objects, and you may not be able to remain standing.
- Drop down onto your hands and knees so the earthquake doesn’t knock you down. Drop to the ground (before the earthquake drops you!)
- Cover your head and neck with your arms to protect yourself from falling debris.
- If you are in danger from falling objects, and you can move safely, crawl for additional cover under a sturdy desk or table.
- If there is low furniture or an interior wall or corner nearby, and the path is clear, these may also provide some additional cover.
- Stay away from glass, windows, outside doors and walls, and anything that could fall, such as light fixtures or furniture.
- Hold on to any sturdy covering so you can move with it until the shaking stops. Stay where you are until the shaking stops.
There are many amazing students, families and staff who support us each and every day. Use this link to submit nominations for your colleagues, staff, students, parents, volunteers, and community partners.
Staff Meeting time Survey:
Thank you for completing the staff meeting start/end time survey. The majority voted to begin at 1:40. Unless you have duty, I will expect you to be in room 23 at 1:40 (at our upcoming staff meetings).
- We will be performing a school-wide stomp on Monday, Nov. 5th to practice for our E.A.G.L.E Academy kickoff.
- To ensure your class is prepared, see the link below for the tutorial. Feel free to use this as your PE minutes.
- When watching the video, stop watching at minute 2:04.
School Mission Statement:
The work continues….
TC Test Prep Unit/Smarter Balance Interim Assessments Grades 3-6:
I feel like we always get to March and think, I wish I began using the Smarter Balance Interim Assessments (or this past year) the TC Test Prep Unit much earlier in the year. Here is your reminder to think about how you might use these resources/ provide access to our students more strategically earlier this school year. Let me know if you have any questions/need support accessing these tools.
- INTERIM ASSESSMENT ROSTERS– Rosters have been updated for the current year. Here is the link to the Interim Assessment User Guide.
- PLEASE complete all Interim Assessments by Spring Break. Do not use Interim Assessments after Spring Break as test prep. Use the practice and training test for test prep.
- PLEASE submit a work order for ANY technical issues you experience at all, and please try to include as much information as possible.
- WAYS TO BUILD IN TEST PREP THROUGHOUT THE YEAR-
- Reading marathons in between units- 60-70 minutes of online reading
- Maintain workshop structures every day, even during test prep
- Volume of texts at just-right level
- Model and foster rereading
- Practice getting “the gist” all the time
- Genre matters, approach each one differently and teach the strategies
- Reflect- During read aloud, are the questions I am asking reflective of test-like questions using academic vocabulary?
- Costume Parade Oct 31
- Red Ribbon Week Oct 29-Nov 2
- SBUSD Trustees Visit Emory classrooms- Nov 1
- Fall Carnival- Nov 2
- Field Trip Calendar Updated by Nov 2
- Christine Ikin TC gr 3-6-Nov 7,8,9
- Emory Presentation at SBUSD Board Mtg-Nov 8
- Soaring to Success-Respect-Nov 13 (Tuesday)
- Emory E.A.G.L.E Kick Off Assembly Nov 15
Quote of the Week: