Greetings Emory Family! Here’s to a fantastic week 2.
We will have flag salute this Monday morning. For those of you who are new to Emory, grades 1-6 meet on the blacktop on our lines and a class leads us in the pledge of allegiance and we listen to a patriotic song.
Positive Behavior Support:
This month, we will begin our focus on Responsibility.The character trait award assembly for Responsibility on September 2nd. (Holli is searching for a fancy name for our new award- see her with suggestions!!)
The video is available on the connect with kids website (http://sbusd.connectwithkids.com/). The video can be reached by going to Student Resources-> Elementary->Character/Life Skills. Lesson plans to use/modify are right below the video and the K-2 lesson plans are available on the previous page.
If you have not logged into connect with kids before please take a moment to do so. Go to the website and select Sign Up. Create your own username and password. The SBUSD organization code is: 601ELM.
Blue Slips/Prize Wagon:
Please use blue slips to reinforce appropriate classroom, playground and school-wide behaviors. I will be visiting lunch and distributing prizes from the wagon on August 5th.
Thank you all for being out there this week. You may have noticed that we were allocated money for afternoon supervision (2:00-2:45) Mrs. Manorina is working as a sub in this position. Families who arrive early for pick up have been asked to wait in the lunch area. Our hope is that this will minimize class disruption.
Grades 3-6 teachers- please remind your students and families to report to the Coronado gate and the end of the day.
Staff Professional Learning:
We will meet in room 23 from 1:45-3:15 this Wednesday, August 3rd. We will review strategies to support independent reading and Fountas and Pinnell administration. Kudos to those of you who have begun assessing your students.
It was great to see some mini-lessons and so many students tackling independent reading. See the Frequently Asked Questions document which was prepared by the Learning and Innovations Team. Check out the Sequence of Units which was created to best support our students. Let Araceli or me know if you would like any specific support or feedback this week as you get started.
District Writing Day- Updates from Araceli:
- August 2nd District Writing Day- Assessment Specifics and Updates
- All students will respond to a Narrative prompt that will be in your boxes on Monday, August 1st.
- Students will be given (no more than) 45 minutes to respond.
- Writing response must be done with paper and pencil
- Students will need to have access to as many sheets of paper as they would like.
- They can start with one sheet and if they need additional they may take from a pile.
- Please do not give them a predetermined amount (ie. 5 pages stapled together) as this may overwhelm some students.
- Students will use paper with lines and a space for drawing (this will be provided in your boxes along with the prompt).
- Students will use regular lined paper.
- Students will respond to their grade level prompt.
ELD and PLC:
I will receive more information on Wednesday, August 3, but it sounds like the District may move the IMPACT teacher start date until August 22nd. This will push our PLC and ELD start back a bit later. I will update you as I have more information.
Back to School Night August 10:
5:00 Title I meeting Canceled
5:15 PTA Meeting
5:30 Principal Welcome
5:45 Classroom Session 1 (25 minutes)
6:15 (Classroom Session 2 (25 minutes)
Directions to Access Fountas and Pinnell data in Illuminate:
- Log into your illuminate account https://southbay.illuminateed.com/live/
- At the top select Reports
- Then Select List Reports
- Click the clear button
- Type FOUNTAS into the search bar click search
- Scroll down- in the list of reports below select Fountas and Pinnell Classroom Report
- Select View in Browser or Download to PDF or Excel (if you select “View in Browser” click “show all” to see all your scores.
Let Araceli or me know if you need any help.
Box Tops Teacher Contest:
Our goal is to raise $1500 in Box Tops collections this school year. If we earn $750 in our first collection (until December), we will provide $100 to be spent on classroom materials (furniture, books, etc) to the teacher who’s classroom collects the most money. Please encourage your students and families to return them to the school.
Student accounts will be ready to go by Wednesday, August 3rd.
Any teacher who DID NOT attend will need to do the online training. This will take about 2-3 hours and is broken up into 3 parts. Directions to access the training are below.
- Go to stmath.com
- Click on Teacher Login
- Use the login information sent by Mind Research Institute
- If it’s the first time logging in, users will be prompted to change the password.
- Click on Teacher Resource Site in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.
- Click on Online Courses:
- Complete Sessions 1-3.
Free Area Carpets:
Coles Fine Flooring is giving away a free area rug for the classroom. The giveaway of these quality and large sized area rugs will be held at the San Diego and San Marcos locations on Saturday August 6th and Saturday August 13th from 8:00-11:00 or while supplies last. First come first served, limited quantity- come early. 1170 Morena Blvd 9210 or 2175 Montiel Rd San Marcos 92069.
South Bay District Assessment Calendar:
When you have some time, please
Check out the REVISED link here. (not urgent) P.S. it was revised again
Cybersmarts Week Aug 22-26:
Save the date- check out the resources below.
Quote of the Week: